Blended, static site generator [WAS: Re: New LilyPond website]

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: Blended, static site generator [WAS: Re: New LilyPond website]
Date: Fri, 03 Feb 2017 18:20:20 +0100

Il giorno ven 3 feb 2017 alle 11:31, John Roper <address@hidden> ha scritto:
OK, I was asking because I have written a static command line HTML site generator that builds from HTML, Markdown, reStruturedText, Textile, Plain Text (.txt), and Microsoft Word (.docx). http://jmroper.com/blended Is that versatile enough for you? Also, how do you handle translations?

Yet another static site generator (SSG)? The purpose is simplicity? (as compared to other SSG)
I don't have time to test it in the coming days.
The templates are simple HTML files with the added value of using {{variables}}? I mean, you are not using any existing template system?

Website, like the documentation manuals, is translated just by copying the original english file in the proper language directory (and of course translate it). Then a script (check-translation.py) compares the committish in the translated file, written by the translator, with the latest committish of the original english file; and shows the differences between the two versions, if any. This is explained here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/documentation-translation-maintenance

and here:
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/contributor/translating-the-website

An alternative approach is using gettext and PO files, which is probably better because you no longer need a script to keep track of changes. And translators active in open source projects already know well how it works.

Personally, I think that switching (for the website only!) from texinfo to a static site generator based on markdown/html source files and a simple template system would be wonderful.