Re: Frescobaldi at GSoC? Call for support

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Frescobaldi at GSoC? Call for support
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2017 20:25:16 +0100

Hi Jeffery,

Am 03.02.2017 um 18:58 schrieb Jeffery Shivers:
> I don't feel (and objectively am not) qualified to mentor someone in any
> capacity really, but if there is anything I can do to help (such as
> administrative stuff, or otherwise), do let me know. Other than normal
> job stuff, I don't have any big commitments from now through most of the
> summer, so it would be a pleasure to assist in any way possible if even
> just as a temporary placeholder for someone else more qualified to
> takeover later.

With regard to the org admins there is no room for
placeholders/switching, I think. Registering as org admin is a
"permanent" task, so one has to take over *some* responsibility from
"now" to November. *If* the organization is actually accepted by Google,
which in the case of Frescobaldi is more than questionable, given our
small size.

The primary duties of the two org admins (I'm the other one) is to be
available for both (potential) mentors and Google. I think the org
admins for large projects such as GNU, who have to shepard countless
potential mentors, many organizations and eventually >40 active
projects, have quite some work to do, but with Frescobaldi, where we
won't have more than two projects in a first year, this should be really
manageable.

The most important point is to do the commitment to - if we're selected
- stick with it over the year, most of the time having nothing to do but
ensuring at least one admin is constantly available.

> I hope others out there will speak up as well, even if you're on the
> fence for whatever reason. GSoC is a rare and generous opportunity to
> fund awesome developments for a tool we all love so much; it would be
> great to see more support for LilyPond's participation this year.

Indeed it would be very good for us!

Best
Urs