Re: Multiple markings

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Multiple markings
Date: Sat, 4 Feb 2017 15:48:25 +0000

On 04/02/17 14:10, David Sumbler wrote:
> So my question is: is there any good reason why Lilypond still does not
> allow multiple marks or tempo markings?

Probably because the underlying code makes it very tricky.

> If the answer to that question really is "yes", then perhaps we could
> have an additional grob or 2 which have the same characteristics as the
> existing one(s) but without the restriction on numbers.  E.g. could we
> have a TextMark grob in addition to RehearsalMark?

Kieran put in a lot of effort iirc to add all this extra stuff. I
remember things from long ago when it was "one mark per barline" and,
because I think RehearsalMark resolved to an ordinary mark you couldn't
even put a rehearsal mark on the same barline as an ordinary mark. That
even that took so long to appear implies it was NOT simple.

I suspect if Kieran could have just stacked marks he would have done. He
might chime in and tell us. If you want to look at how a tempo mark is
implemented you might be able to do it for yourself :-) That said, I
wanted to do it and just couldn't get to grips with it :-)

But I think if you want multiple marks the obvious solution is to stack
them in a column.

Cheers,
Wol