Re: Multiple markings

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Multiple markings
Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2017 21:33:24 +0000

On Tue, 2017-02-07 at 14:59 -0600, David Wright wrote:
> How would you deal with the case where \songName landed on a break?
> That's the problem I've had to wrestle with in the past. You'd want
> the fermata at the end of a line but the song title at the start of
> the next.

In the particular case I am currently dealing with, I want the barline
to come in the middle of a line in the score to emphasize the fact that
this is a continuous piece, and that the individual songs are not
intended to be performed separately.  So there is no problem.

In the parts it might be acceptable or preferable to start the new song
on a new line, but it looks as if I shall have to do force \noBreak in
the parts as well, like it or not.

All of which shows how unsatisfactory the current situation is.

I don't pretend to understand the reasons why multiple marks are not
allowed, but clearly the reasons must be pretty deep-seated.  Since I
do not have this understanding, it just seems odd to me that we have
this restriction when at the same time we can apparently have almost
unlimited numbers of items attached to notes.

David