Re: New LilyPond website

From: John Roper
Subject: Re: New LilyPond website
Date: Thu, 9 Feb 2017 07:43:44 -0500

I changed the header size to be smaller. As for the overall design, again, the front page of the website is supposed to make the user want to take a look at it. A design such as this does that while a page full of serif text and two images does not.

As for the separation of templates and content, that is the way any other site generator works. Also, there has to be HTML in any generator because no markup language like markup could do  any kind of advanced layout like that.

No one expects the website to look like the output of a LilyPond document. LilyPond does not make websites. Users expect the website to show them (in a nice-looking way) what LilyPond can do from examples. There is so much text. The standard human does not want to read that much text. They want to see examples. On the current website, all the images are hidden away under Introduction/Examples.

>>Indeed, sigh.  This is one of the reasons I don't like working with
>>HTML.  Hopefully Blended can be improved to completely hide such
>>issues for Joe User.

Yet the current LilyPond website is not responsive and does not work with mobile (or some desktops).

Yep.  I was tagging the whole HTML generation chain as `Blended'
(*not* `Blender', BTW), which is a simplification.

It is Blended

That has been added. It is 'blended build' Also, that info is on the website http://jmroper.com/blended

--
John Roper
Freelance Developer and Simulation Artist