Re: 48 and 72 ET

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: 48 and 72 ET
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 10:42:26 +0100

> On 10 Feb 2017, at 10:22, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Hans Åberg <address@hidden> writes:

>>> convert-ly -d inserts an updated \version header.
>>
>> You wouldn't want to do that with library headers, in case something
>> goes wrong. Better to create a separate file, and check file dates, as
>> in a Makefile.

>>> How does _this_ "keep track of the changes"?  Maybe you consider your
>>> biological memory part of the data on your computer?
>>
>> I cannot parse this.
>
> You said "you would want to keep track of the changes" as a reason to do
> changes manually rather than by convert-ly.  I tried reading some sense
> into that statement but apparently we have very little common ground
> regarding what we consider making sense.

See the letter from Urs Liska, how he works. It is the human brain that makes
sure things are correct. Also see the letter by Graham Breed: it is great that
convert-ly can do the job. But also see the letter by Simon Albrecht:
convert-ly does not always do it right. So it is good to make that sure,
especially in a library. Even though it could do it in this case, as you found
out, I did not need it, and in the past, a very long time ago, I think that
convert-ly failed, and I haven't needed it since.