Re: tuplet slurs

From: J Martin Rushton
Subject: Re: tuplet slurs
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 16:58:00 +0000

On 11/02/17 10:42, J Martin Rushton wrote:
> On 11/02/17 00:18, David Nalesnik wrote:
>> Hi Werner,
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 9, 2017 at 12:53 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>>>
>>> For voices with lyrics it is common to put triplet indications always
>>> above the staff, using the following rules.
>>>
>>>    . stems up or down, no beam: as usual (i.e., a number and a bracket
>>>      at the top, as if using \tupletUp)
>>>
>>>    . stems up, with beam: as usual (i.e., a number over the beam)
>>>
>>> The last case, however, is unusual:
>>>
>>>    . stem down, with beam: a number and a *slur* at the top.
>>>
>>> I would like to have a single command that makes lilypond do that
>>> automatically.  Has this been requested before?  A quick searched
>>> yielded nothing.
>>>
>>> Hopefully, the attached images makes everything clear (note that I
>>> don't need full brackets).
>>>

>> It strikes me that I've seen code somewhere that uses slurs instead of
>> brackets.  I find this:
>> http://www.lilypondforum.de/index.php?topic=1658.0
>>
>> The results look great, but of course, the slur is broken.  It might
>> not be hard to modify that routine to do what you want..
>>
>> How are you duplicating the other example, with an unbroken bracket?
>> If you displace the TupletNumber in an ordinary bracket, the gap will
>> remain.
>>
>> Is the bracket notation fairly common?  I've certainly seen the
>> slur-above notation.
>>
>> I'm asking because it might be fairly easy to modify the C++
>> TupletBracket stencil code to produce such slurs based on a context
>> property.
>>
>>  Also, a full bracket might be used if the tuplet number wouldn't
>> intersect the bracket.  Maybe this should be default behavior?  I know
>> I've seen the bracket notation in Britten, albeit without the tuplet
>> number.
>>
>> David
>>
> I've just had another look at the "Rudiments & Theory of Music" by the
> Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music.  Triplets are introduced
> in Grade II (section 26 in my 1958 edition) and are shown without
> brackets or slurs, just a number, when the quavers are beamed together.
> Later in the same section crotchets are shown with a slur.  However when
> explaining trills (Grade V, section 29a) the triplet on demisemiquavers
> is shown with a slur as well as being beamed.
>
> I suspect that this is either a US/UK issue, or else the use of brackets
> is a more recent style, or possibly both!  Certainly 19thC music
> published in the UK seems to favour slur-type triplets.
>
> Martin

I've dug out "The AB Guide to Music Theory", also published by the
ABRSM, but dated 1989 and last printed in 2012.  The key phrase is "and
sometimes a curved line or square bracket is added" (Grade III section
3).  Both examples are shown, though in the rest of the book there is a
tendency to use the square form.

Martin