ghostscript fails on pdf generation

From: N. Andrew Walsh
Subject: ghostscript fails on pdf generation
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2017 20:36:33 +0100

Hi List,

I realize this isn't strictly an issue with Lily, but pdf output recently started failing. I see the following message in the console output:

Layout output to `/tmp/lilypond-CFV9h3'...
Converting to `Reinhold Urmetzer - Lamento di Achille.pdf'...
warning: `(gs -q -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595.28 -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=841.89 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=Reinhold Urmetzer - Lamento di Achille.pdf -c.setpdfwrite -f/tmp/lilypond-CFV9h3)' failed (256)

'gs' is the ghostscript binary, but I haven't updated that recently, nor any of its dependencies (the closest I could find in recent updates was "podofo", which seems only marginally related to pdf generation).

Is there a way to check what the exact error might be here? I suspect a recent package update somewhere changed a shared library and I'll need to recompile something, but I'm not sure what. Any suggestions?