Re: ghostscript fails on pdf generation

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: ghostscript fails on pdf generation
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 08:25:16 +0100

Am 12. Februar 2017 02:25:42 MEZ schrieb David Wright <address@hidden>:
>On Sat 11 Feb 2017 at 20:36:33 (+0100), N. Andrew Walsh wrote:
>> I realize this isn't strictly an issue with Lily, but pdf output
>recently
>> started failing. I see the following message in the console output:
>>
>> Layout output to `/tmp/lilypond-CFV9h3'...
>> Converting to `Reinhold Urmetzer - Lamento di Achille.pdf'...
>> warning: `(gs -q -dSAFER -dDEVICEWIDTHPOINTS=595.28
>> -dDEVICEHEIGHTPOINTS=841.89 -dCompatibilityLevel=1.4 -dNOPAUSE
>-dBATCH
>> -r1200 -sDEVICE=pdfwrite -sOutputFile=Reinhold Urmetzer - Lamento di
>> Achille.pdf -c.setpdfwrite -f/tmp/lilypond-CFV9h3)' failed (256)
>>
>> 'gs' is the ghostscript binary, but I haven't updated that recently,
>nor
>> any of its dependencies (the closest I could find in recent updates
>was
>> "podofo", which seems only marginally related to pdf generation).
>>
>> Is there a way to check what the exact error might be here? I suspect
>> recent package update somewhere changed a shared library and I'll
>need to
>> recompile something, but I'm not sure what. Any suggestions?
>
>I can't see any difference between that error message and the one
>referred to in
>http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-06/msg00087.html
>which I could duplicate myself as shown in
>http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2016-06/msg00123.html
>where I avoid using the wrapper script that sets $LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
>IOW you can get this by mixing versions of the various parts of the
>LP system.

Does this error appear when you run lilypond from the command line or only when
you run it from Frescobaldi?

IIRC I considered this as an issue with Frescobaldi because it doesn't set that
Library path - which causes LilyPond to use the system's gs instead of its own
copy, and this may work or not

Urs