Re: Mixed progress message language

From: Mats Behre
Subject: Re: Mixed progress message language
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 11:53:57 +0100

On 2017-02-12 09:18, Federico Bruni wrote:
Il giorno sab 11 feb 2017 alle 13:04, Mats Behre <address@hidden> ha scritto:
I'm using 2.18.2 on a Mac located in Sweden, but my OS language is English.
For some reason Lilypond decides to print some of the progress messages in
Swedish, like this:
[...]
I don't remember it doing this, but I can't remember when it changed (in a
Lilypond or OS change).
Obviously this is a minor annoyance, but if anyone knows an easy way to avoid
it I'd be grateful.

I'm not a Mac user, but I think that this works as in Linux.
Try opening a terminal and type:

locale

what's the output of this command?

The output was
LANG=
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_ALL=

and by running 'man locale' and 'man localedef' I found that "If LANG is unset or
null, the corresponding value from the implementation-dependent default locale will be
used". It seems that this default is taken from the configured region and not the OS
language as I would expect (but for settings other than messages it actually suits me
fine ...).

So, setting (the environment variable) LC_MESSAGES to en_GB solved the problem.

Thanks
Mats