Re: Flat slurs

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Flat slurs
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 08:50:38 -0700 (MST)

Urs, et al,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Kieren MacMillan-2 [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Urs,

> This is a more real-world (but not too fine-tuned) example where it's
> clear that flat slurs can save lots of vertical space.

Lovely work! Thank you for your ongoing efforts in this area.

Agreed. This is great. I also cobbled together my own Scheme code a while back for doing flat ties/slurs, but my flat slurs are far from automagic. This should be ok since they aren't the most commonly used slur shape, but it makes me curious, Urs, what it takes to designate the proper shape in your code? I am happy to share my code if anyone is interested. I created it at the request of Dimitris Marinakis, so he may have some real-world examples of how he used it.

@Urs: One thing I've learned while doing all my typography work is that the flat slurs will look too thick if they use the same thickness value as normal slurs. This is because curved shapes look thinner than flat shapes and a normal slur only achieves its 'thickness at its mid-way point and nowhere else. It's an optical illusion, but one the eye definitely notices. In my code I use a simple thinning scale factor and it seems to do the trick.

Best,
Abraham