Re: Flat slurs

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Flat slurs
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2017 21:16:46 +0100

Am 13.02.2017 um 18:30 schrieb Abraham Lee:
On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 8:50 AM, tisimst <address@hidden> wrote:
Urs, et al,

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Kieren MacMillan-2 [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Urs,

> This is a more real-world (but not too fine-tuned) example where it's
> clear that flat slurs can save lots of vertical space.

Lovely work! Thank you for your ongoing efforts in this area.

Agreed. This is great. I also cobbled together my own Scheme code a while back for doing flat ties/slurs, but my flat slurs are far from automagic.

"My" slurs aren't automatic either. In fact they are special cases of multi-segment slurs which of course have to be defined manually (although the interface for this is pretty robust).

This should be ok since they aren't the most commonly used slur shape, but it makes me curious, Urs, what it takes to designate the proper shape in your code?

Basically you define right and left anchor points, an angle and a ratio (ratio is the relative distance between the outer control points as compared to the distance of the end points), then you can add an arbitrary number of inflection points with a few properties each. The syntax is a \with {} clause where each inflection is added as an alist property.
A flat slur is a slur with two inflection points where the second one is defined to have an angle of 0, which means that the left hand control point points directly to the previous inflection.
You can see the code here: https://github.com/openlilylib/snippets/blob/master/notation-snippets/shaping-bezier-curves/flat-compound-slur-example.ly

I am happy to share my code if anyone is interested.

Yes, I'd definitely like to see that. How did you manage to get the seamless "thick" line?

I created it at the request of Dimitris Marinakis, so he may have some real-world examples of how he used it.

@Urs: One thing I've learned while doing all my typography work is that the flat slurs will look too thick if they use the same thickness value as normal slurs. This is because curved shapes look thinner than flat shapes and a normal slur only achieves its 'thickness at its mid-way point and nowhere else. It's an optical illusion, but one the eye definitely notices. In my code I use a simple thinning scale factor and it seems to do the trick.

It should be fairly simple to include that - if I write a wrapper function for "flat ties/slurs". As said ATM this is a special case of a multi-segment slur, so the user would simply have to change thickness themselves.

Here are a couple of examples of using flat ties and flat slurs and how they can be configured. They utilize Slur grob properties as much as possible, so properties such as 'thickness and 'ratio are used in my functions.

'ratio is something I indeed wanted to add.
Nice exmaples

Best
Urs

Best,