Re: translations in new LilyPond website [WAS: Re: New LilyPond website]

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: translations in new LilyPond website [WAS: Re: New LilyPond website]
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 06:50:36 +0000

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 05:04:07PM +0100, Federico Bruni wrote:
> Il giorno gio 9 feb 2017 alle 0:11, John Roper <address@hidden> ha
> scritto:
> >Ok, you can see the most current version of my design on
> >http://jmroper.com/lilypond
> >
> >I am keeping the source for the website in
> >https://github.com/johnroper100/LilyPond-Web-Redesign
>
> Before adding fancy stuff (such as embedded lilybin), I suggest that you
> provide a website that satisfies all the basic requirements. One of these -
> probably the most complex - is the translations. Do you have an idea already
> of how to manage it?

+1.  This, absolutely.  In addition to translations, I'd also like
to see an actual separation of content and templates.  In other
words, there should not be any files which contain website text
and html tags.

Also, I want to be clear so that there's no misunderstandings:
Doing the above does not mean that LilyPond will switch to a
different website generation method.  Doing the above only means
that we can begin to evaluate the technical merits of such a
change.

I would be very surprised if LilyPond ever switched to Blended --
that would be increasing our technical debt, not reducing it.  If
we switched from texinfo to a different static website generator,
I suspect it would be pelican, gitbook, or hugo -- existing
projects with thousands of users and a thriving developer
community.

I wish that I could sound less discouraging.  I think that there
are some interesting ideas in your latest webpage, and it would
not be hard to implement them within the current texinfo
framework.

- Graham