Re: A staff change and phrasing slur problem

From: Hans Åberg
Subject: Re: A staff change and phrasing slur problem
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 15:22:00 +0100

On 14 Feb 2017, at 14:37, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:

The actual problem is that the notes are encapsulated in different Voice
expressions and therefore can't be connected by spanners such as slurs
or \< \! etc.

When you write
c' << { d'' } // { d' } >> c'
LilyPond creates two temporary voices for the d-s (and make them
\voiceOne and \voiceTwo implicitly), while the original voice is
suspended during the polyphonic section.

In order to connect notes from inside the polyphonic section to the
outside you'd write

c' << { \voiceOne d'' } \new Voice { \voiceTwo d' } >> \oneVoice c'

This way the main voice is continued through c' d'' c' while only the d'
is wrapped in an implicit temporary voice.

I have similar problem in the code below, wanting the last note ef4 of the first measure to be tied to the one in the following measure. I could not make your suggestion work.

----
\version "2.19.45"

\language "english"

music = \new Staff = main {
  \tempo 4 = 176
  \time 12/8
  \set beatStructure = #'(3 2 2 3 2)

  \override TupletNumber.text = #tuplet-number::calc-fraction-text

  \key c \minor

  \relative c'' {
    \tuplet 2/3 {ef16 d ef f}  d8\prall c  d bf
       << {\voiceOne \override TupletNumber.text = #tuplet-number::calc-fraction-text
          {\tuplet 2/3 {c8\trill ~ c16 g} c8-. r8 |}}
       \new Voice
          {\voiceTwo \override TupletNumber.text = #tuplet-number::calc-fraction-text
          {\tuplet 2/3 {a16 bf c d} ef4\mordent ~ |}} >> \voiceTwo
  }

  \bar "||"

  \relative c'' {
    ef4. ~ ef4 ~ ef4 ~ ef4. ~ ef4 |