Re: A staff change and phrasing slur problem

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: A staff change and phrasing slur problem
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2017 23:07:33 +0100

Am 14.02.2017 um 22:51 schrieb Robert Blackstone:
> Hi Urs,
> Thanks for your explanation and advice (and my apologies for my late
> reaction. Some urgent matter temporarily took me off my engraving activity.)
> So I still have to try out your suggestion.
>
> I am still puzzled though, for while I can understand that different voices
> cannot be connected by spanners etc., in most instances up till now, with
> identical coding (as far as I could see) the problem did not arise.
> I am also a bit puzzled about what  you write near the end of your mail:
> "Actually I would really not create temporary polyphony for each measure as
> this makes things *very* complicated."
> Not for each measure. But only for some measures? Or is there an alternative
> that you would use?

Just a short remark. Basically the music you showed in the example is a
two-voice polyphony. So I would wrap each voice in *one* Voice
expression from start to end:

<<
  {
    %all the music for the upper voice
  }
  \new Voice
  {
    %all the music for the lower voice
  }

instead of creating this polyphony construct newly for each measure.
Urs