Re: Right line of an ottava bracket

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Right line of an ottava bracket
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 13:34:34 -0600

Urs,

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 11:36 AM, David Nalesnik
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Urs,
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 11:03 AM, Urs Liska <address@hidden> wrote:
>> I'm trying to style an ottava bracket. But poking around in the IR
>> doesn't show me the way how to make the right vertical line look like
>> the horizontal line (in the attached image).
>>
>> What property do I have to override here?
>>

> There are no properties you can override.  Dash-fraction is
> deliberately set to 1.0 (continuous line) in
> Tuplet_bracket::make_bracket for the bracket "wings.".  (Yes, ottava
> brackets are drawn by a method of Tuplet_bracket.  BTW, I've been
> trying to straighten out some of the confusions in the bracket code.)
>
> You can comment out lines 449-50 in lily/tuplet-bracket.cc to get the
> right-lines of ottava brackets (and tuplet-brackets) to obey your
> settings.  The drawback, of course, is that you have to build LilyPond
> for this to take effect.
>
> The problem is that there is no guarantee that the right ottava line
> will cover the desired extent (i.e, black at beginning and end of the
> extent).  The wrong settings of dash-period and dash-fraction could
> easily yield a puny stub or nothing at all.  There would have to be
> some adjustment of dash spacing to guarantee a proper fill of the
> space.
>
> Well, there should be one for any dashed line (as there is in some
> markup command or other, can't remember the name) -- an option to
> modify user settings to that a dashed or dotted line begins and ends
> with ink.

Here's an illustration of what I'm talking about.

The attached PNG shows the output of the following code with the two
lines in lily/tuplet-bracket.cc commented out.  Uplet brackets thrown
in for good measure.

\version "2.19.56"

{
  %% default -- ugh. bug here?
  \override TupletBracket.style = #'dashed-line
  \tuplet 3/1 { c''2 c'' c'' }
  \once\override TupletBracket.dash-period = 1
  \once\override TupletBracket.dash-fraction = #0.1
  \tuplet 3/1 { c''2 c'' c'' }
}

{
  \once\override Staff.OttavaBracket.dash-period = 1
  \once\override Staff.OttavaBracket.dash-fraction = #0.1
  \ottava 1
  c''4 d'' e'' d''
}

{
  % default -- right line is too short
  \ottava 1
  c''4 d'' e'' d''
}

{
  \override Staff.OttavaBracket.style = #'dotted-line
  \ottava 1
  c''4 d'' e'' d''