Re: Melisma with manual syllable durations

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Melisma with manual syllable durations
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 2017 19:49:19 +0100

David Sumbler <address@hidden> writes:

> On Sun, 2017-02-19 at 14:49 +0000, David Sumbler wrote:
>
> Thank you for the responses to my question.
>
> Unfortunately, I now realise that the question was not clearly
> expressed.  It was not intended to be "is there a way to get melisma in
> upper and lower voices", but "is there a way to get melisma marks when
> using manual syllable durations?"
>
> As I said in my original post, I had tried various other ways of
> setting the second set of words, including the obvious one of creating
> a \new Voice at the relevant point of the vocal staff and using
> \lyricsto.  Unfortunately there was a problem with this, which was that
> the words were set one note late, try as I might to get around the
> problem.  So instead of spending possibly hours trying to get to the
> root of this, I decided to try manual durations, which appeared to work
> perfectly - until I ran into this melisma problem in the second of the
> relevant songs.  (There is no melisma in the first of the 2 songs.)
>
> In view of the fact that manual durations are the first to be shown in
> the Notation Reference, it seems surprising if such a standard part of
> musical notation is not supported.
>
> So - can anyone tell me if melisma markings be produced when using
> manual durations with lyrics?  And if so, how?

Again: set associatedVoice accordingly.  Why ask for advice if you are
going to ignore it?

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.48"

\paper { ragged-right = ##f }

voice = { \time 3/4 \partial 8
          e'8 | e' d' d'4( ~ d'16 c') b8 | c'4 c'4. r8 \bar "|."
        }

words = \lyricmode { Ac er -- aill yn __ ei fe -- di. }

trans = \lyricmode { An8 -- oth -- er reaps4. __ the8 har4 -- vest.4. }

<<
  \new Staff = "up" { \voice }
  \addlyrics { \words }
  \new Lyrics \with { associatedVoice = "up"
                      \override LyricText.font-shape = #'italic }
  { \trans }

--
David Kastrup