Re: Reduce LilyPond installation disk size

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Reduce LilyPond installation disk size
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 11:59:55 +0100

Hi Trevor,

On 2017-02-22 11:31, Trevor wrote:
> To run LilyPond on AWS Lambda for LilyBin, I need to upload a zip
> file containing the LilyPond executable and assets, and it must be no
> larger than 50 MB. Recent versions of LilyPond unstable are about 52
> MB zipped (zip -r9). Are there any large files in the installation
> directory I can delete without breaking anything? Or maybe I could
> compress executables better than zip does?

some suggestions:

1.) Use the --symlink option for zip, i.e., use
    zip -r9 --symlink archive.zip <files/directories>
    Otherwise, you end up with multiple copies of identical files in the
archive.

2.) Remove some of the language data that you won't use from usr/share/locale/.

3.) Use tar and xz if supported by the server (tar -cJf archive.tar.xz
<files/directories>), which brings the "official" 2.19.55 x86_64 binary from
lilypond.org down to ~24 MB.  (FWIW, the installer is basically a bzip2'ed
tarball in a shell script wrapper, and weighs ~30 MB.)

HTH,
Alexander