Re: translations in new LilyPond website [WAS: Re: New LilyPond website]

From: Paul
Subject: Re: translations in new LilyPond website [WAS: Re: New LilyPond website]
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2017 22:29:16 -0500

On 02/22/2017 02:14 PM, Graham Percival wrote:

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 12:23:06AM -0500, Paul wrote:
What if we separated the design and implementation steps? First, come up
with a design that just uses css and simple html (nothing fancy, no library
dependencies, etc.), one that offers responsive design for smaller screens,
etc.
That's more or less exactly the point behind [1]: work on the CSS
without fussing about the underlying HTML.

Well, I think we are talking about two different points. My point was to allow the html to be changed as well as the css -- in order to decouple the design process from the constraints of the build tools -- to allow John to design a website (with responsive design etc.) using his preferred tools (html, css), revising it until we are happy with it, and then port it to the current build system by converting the html to texinfo.

Are there reasons to constrain the website to the currently existing html?

I think it will be more difficult to successfully transition the site to an effective and well-implemented responsive design (that looks good on all screen sizes) if we restrict ourselves to only changing the css. And I don't think it's a bad thing if the site gets a redesign every decade or so.

It resulted in one new
LilyPond contributor [2], who began cleaning up the CSS.

[1] https://github.com/gperciva/lilypond-web-css
[2]
http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/lilypond.git/commit/?id=ca2a46da10e1f627b68e7243958749b8ec007f43

Unfortunately, due to a combination of real-life problems and the
threat of throwing away the existing website, her interest in
working on this has dried up -- and I don't blame her in the
least!  I'm waiting for things to calm down, and then maybe I can
convince her to re-start.

That is unfortunate. I also think it would be unfortunate to not take John up on his willingness to help us redesign the site and give it a responsive design. My proposal is a way to make that possible by working around the impass created by the constraints and barriers to entry imposed by the build tools.

Cheers,
-Paul