Re: Melisma with manual syllable durations

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Melisma with manual syllable durations
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 16:16:47 -0000

David Kastrup wrote Thursday, February 23, 2017 2:29 PM

> Alexander Kobel <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> It might be surprising that a non-existing voice does not even produce
>> a warning; but there *is* a (very sensible) difference.

[snip]
> If searchForVoice is set (a context property) and this voice has
> a name, then this name is shortened by everything following its last
> hyphen and used as the corresponding voice name to synchronize to.
>
> Really.  Fortunately, the default has been off for 6 years without
> anybody noticing or complaining:
>
>    commit 4133b4e0ec939a427a70361ad838c65a84a0dfda
>    Author: Trevor Daniels <address@hidden>
>    Date:   Fri Apr 8 08:26:15 2011 +0100
>
>        Search of context hierarchy for voice for lyrics is optional
>
>         - add new context property, searchForVoice, to indicate
>           whether the extended search for a voice containing lyric
>           rhythms should be conducted
>
>         - fixes 1579
>
>         * lily/lyric-engraver.cc
>
>           test searchForVoice in get_voice_to_lyrics () to decide
>           whether to conduct an extended search
>
>         * ly/engraver-init.ly
>
>           set default value of searchForVoice to #f
>
>           (also in passing remove duplicated instrumentname
>            and shortInstrumentName settings)
>
>         * scm/define-context-properties.scm
>
>           add and document searchForVoice
>
> Maybe we should remove that -- thing.

Probably sensible.  As I said at the time, I left it available in
case any score or user was relying on it.  I'd no means of
determining whether or not that was the case then (nor have I now),
but if no one shouts soon that they are setting searchForVoice
maybe it would be good to tidy this up.

Trevor