Re: Quotes in Lyrics

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Quotes in Lyrics
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2017 11:02:33 -0600

On Thu 23 Feb 2017 at 11:06:16 (-0500), Tim Slattery wrote:
> Joseph Austin <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >I don't fully understand the point or effect of the "extra" quotes in the
> >example.
> >Why is the f example incorrect?
>
> Looks like a quotation mark must be within a quoted string (or it
> means something else). But once you start a quoted string, another
> quote will end it. The back slash "escapes" the following character,
> telling LP that it's not a control character, but an actual quote.

Yes, the source of the confusion is the backslash. It might be clearer
if the documentation quoted by the OP finished thus:

… any 8-bit character with an ASCII code over 127, or a two-character
combination of a backslash followed by one of `, ', ", or ^.
Note that backslash itself is not in this list, so strings beginning
with those combinations must be quoted.

Cheers,
David.