Re: Consecutive slurs and shapeII function

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Consecutive slurs and shapeII function
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2017 15:10:42 +0100

Hi Andrew,

actually it *does* work and isn't even complicated.

Am 24.02.2017 um 14:46 schrieb Andrew Bernard:
Last year I started a thread about how to change the dash pattern in the case of two adjacent consecutive slurs, successfully solved very simply. Now the situation arises that I would like to be able to precisely adjust the slur shape with the \shapeII function in the case of two consecutive slurs.

The following MWE will only compile if you set it up with openlilylib, and is meant to be illustrative rather than compilable (sorry - I don't know a generalised way of including openlilylib in an MWE).

Well, if you require it to work just state it.
But as you should expect for anyone using openLilyLib to have set it up correctly nothing speaks against simply adding
\include "notation-snippets/shaping-bezier-curves/shapeII.ily"

to your MWE.

So, how would you get another call to shapeII in here to modify the second slur shape?

bass = {
  \clef bass
  \time 1/4
  \t 5/4 {
    c'16
    \shapeII #'((0 0) (p 20 0.4) (p 20 0.4) (-1 0)) Slur
    e32^( g <e cis'>)
    _( g cis'8)
  } |
}

\shapeII (just as \shape or any \once \override Slur.control-points) has to be placed immediately before the start of the slur.

The start of the first slur is the e32, and you've put the \shapeII immediately before.
The start of the second slur is the <e cis'>, and so you have to put the \shapeII immediately before that.

I've taken the liberty to make the shape much more obvious but the following code works:

bass = {
  \clef bass
  \time 1/4
  \tuplet 5/4 {
    c'16
    \shapeII #'((0 10) (p 20 0.4) (p 20 0.4) (-1 0)) Slur
    e32^( g
    \shapeII #'((0 . -10) (p 20 0.4) (p 20 0.4) (-1 0)) Slur
    <e cis'> ) _( g cis'8 )
  } |
}

The overlap of \shapeII and the end of the first slur doesn't matter at all, as \shape doesn't do more than a \once \override here.

HTH
Urs