Re: 13th chord?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: 13th chord?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 11:52:15 +0100

> On Sun, 26 Feb 2017, David Kastrup wrote:
>> To me it would seem that the default mode of operation should be for
>> them to have matched rules where feasible, in order to have least
>> element of surprise.
>
> I agree, but A. it may not be feasible in some important cases, and
> B. even matched rules wouldn't really solve the problem, because users
> would still have to explain to both the input and output systems their
> own preferred conversion between note sets and displayed chord symbols.
> (It doesn't help that the standard and traditional musical rules are
> *screwy* and the nonstandard rules many people want to use are even
> screwier.)
>
> Users want what they type to match what is displayed, even when it doesn't
> follow the default rules and possibly even when it doesn't follow any
> rules.  For the common use case of chord mode being used solely to
> generate notes for ChordNames, and ChordNames getting its notes solely
> from chord mode, we don't really need the notes at all.  Just turning the
> user's input directly into markup would make all the common problems with
> chords disappear.
>
> I've actually used lyrics to print chord names sometimes when I just
> couldn't get "proper" ChordNames contexts to do what I wanted.  It seems
> like lyrics are 80% of the way to the markup idea I'm describing.
>
> --
> Matthew Skala
> address@hidden                 People before principles.
> http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/

I strongly disagree.

\chordmode is an input mode.
It can be used for printing notes (Staff), chord-names (ChordNames)
and fret-diagrams (FretBoards) and for midi, as David already pointed
out.

If the chordNameFunction (ignatzek-chord-names) does not do what we
want, we should improve it, but not drop a plethora of
lily-functionality.

And yes, ignatzek-chord-names is insufficient in the sense that it's
hard up to impossible to tweak ChordName-printing sufficiently without
rewriting major parts of it.

Cheers,
  Harm