Re: 13th chord?

From: Anthony Youngman
Subject: Re: 13th chord?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 13:34:01 +0000

On 26/02/17 11:32, Thomas Morley wrote:
On 26/02/17 10:52, Thomas Morley wrote:

If the chordNameFunction (ignatzek-chord-names) does not do what we
want, we should improve it, but not drop a plethora of
lily-functionality.

And yes, ignatzek-chord-names is insufficient in the sense that it's
hard up to impossible to tweak ChordName-printing sufficiently without
rewriting major parts of it.

Just to throw another big spanner into the works ...

I wrote some code which I submitted to lilypond to handle guitar capos. So,
for example, if you said something like "\capo 3", when you entered a chord
of C, it printed the chord name as "C(A)". This is *normal* practice when
printing music to accompany singers - the piano score has the guitar chords
on it.

My code didn't get into lilypond proper (I was asked to make a load of
changes, and I couldn't cope - my scheme-fu wasn't up to it), BUT. You need
to be careful that any changes you make don't break that use case - even if
I didn't get it in, I'm sure somebody else will want it in future.

Cheers,
Wol

Do we have a tracker-issue for it?

I don't know. But I'm attaching the patches. I could dig in to it, but I suspect you just want the patches date-stamped 1st August (the others are probably draft versions).

I had it working on my system, so the code does run successfully, at least with the version of lilypond that was current at the time.

Cheers,
Wol