Re: 13th chord?

From: mskala
Subject: Re: 13th chord?
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2017 10:04:25 -0600 (CST)

On Sun, 26 Feb 2017, Wols Lists wrote:
> The OP complained that when he asked for "C13" he got "C 9 13". Sounds
> to me like now, if he asks for "C13" that's what he'll get, but if he
> asks for "C13 (A13)" he's going to get "C 9 13 (A 9 13)". That's almost
> worse!!!

What do you mean by "now"?  That certainly doesn't describe current
LilyPond, nor my proposal.

I've said it clearly enough times already, but I'll say it again:  I think
there should be a feature to print what was typed, in the visual format of
chord names, without interpreting it as music.  No more or less.  And this
is proposed as a new feature, without deleting the existing features.

Would it support transposition?  No, but it wouldn't harm users who want
to do transposition with the currently-existing features.

Would it directly support MIDI, automatic fingering charts, or any other
features that require LilyPond to interpret the input as music?  No,
because the point is to NOT interpret the input as music, only as stuff to
be printed.  But, again, it wouldn't harm users who want to use or extend
the currently-existing features for those things.

Would it stem the relentless stream of new users asking for help with
chord names on this mailing list?  Yes, if properly implemented and
documented as a first-class feature and not a "poor cousin," because what
those users really want is to have the chord names they typed, printed,
and only that.

But the clear consensus of the list seems to be that nothing suitable for
the 99% use case can be allowed to exist if it isn't also all things to
everyone, so I'll bow out of the discussion now.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before principles.