Re: \ottava without bracket

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: \ottava without bracket
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 08:54:07 -0600

On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 8:13 AM, David Nalesnik
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 8:04 AM, David Nalesnik
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Mon, Feb 27, 2017 at 7:00 AM, Robert Blackstone
>> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> Hi Martin,
>>>
>>> I used \ottava #0 and it worked, albeit that there still is a very short
>>> bracket and only "8", not "8va".
>>>
>>> HTH
>>>

>>> Best,
>>> Robert Blackstone

>> Try
>>
>> \override Staff.OttavaBracket.style = #'none
>
> Of course, there should be an option to automatically hide the bracket
> only on single notes, leaving it for longer stretches.

Something like this possibly:

\version "2.19.55"

#(define (no-bracket-for-singles grob)
   (if (eq? (ly:spanner-bound grob LEFT)
            (ly:spanner-bound grob RIGHT))
       'none
       'dashed-line))

{
  \override Staff.OttavaBracket.style = #no-bracket-for-singles
  \ottava #1 c'' \ottava #0 d'' e'' f''
  \ottava #1 c'' d'' \ottava #0 e''  f''
}

%%%%%

The issue here is that the "8va" ought be centered over the note.
Style "none" doesn't affect the positioning of the text.

Probably this would mean writing a stencil callback (instead of one
for 'style).  I'll look at this later, in case someone hasn't beaten
me to it :)

David