Re: Vocal scores with extra staves

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Vocal scores with extra staves
Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2017 22:23:20 -0600

On Tue 28 Feb 2017 at 13:41:43 (+1100), Andrew Bromage wrote:
> On 28/2/17 1:21 pm, David Wright wrote:
> >Well I'm looking at the finale of Pinafore¹ (I picked p99/108 at random
> >and hit the spot!) and I don't see staves starting and stopping mid-page.
> No, what I mean is the solution of using different staves and just
> eliminating
> ones that have nothing.

Sorry. I was labouring under the misapprehension that you _wanted_
staves starting mid-page (as in your OP, but placed correctly between
the upper voices and the piano), and that Klaus was advocating
frenching the score instead. Now I'm confused. In any case:

A "start/stop" solution might start a new staff at the penultimate
bar of p101 with two semiquavers at the end, labelled
"Chorus of Men (basses)".

A "compromise" solution might start a new page three bars earlier
than p102 currently does, so Cap C would use the tenor line
briefly, just as Mrs Cripps does later.

A "work to do" solution might involve adding <df' bf>4. and the
word "thee" to p102/bar1/staff2 and splitting guidelines at the
very end of p101.

> I see an example of almost precisely my situation at the top of page 102.

…which is why I quoted it.

> On page 101, you have one staff alternating between male chorus and a
> soloist. At the start of page 102 the tenors and basses are divided onto
> separate staves.
>
> In the first bar on page 102, the bass voices are in the top staff at the
> start of the bar and the bottom staff at the end of the bar.

…which corresponds to a frenching solution, but without bothering
about the "work to do".

But I'm not sure which of these alternative(s) you might be happy with.

Cheers,
David.