Re: tweaking Clefs

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: tweaking Clefs
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 11:24:49 -0500

Hi David,

> Uh, { ... \bassclarinet ... } ?
>
> With something like
>
> bassclarinet = {
>  \clef F
>  \transposition c,
>  \set Staff.midiInstrument = "clarinet"
>  \set Staff.instrumentCueName = \markup \bf "cl. B"
>  \set Staff.instrumentName = "bass clarinet"
>  \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = “bc”

Uh… \bf throws an error…?
Is that a function my copy of 2.19.56 should have?

Without it, and incorporating the rest into a compilable snippet:

%%%  SNIPPET BEGINS
\version "2.19.56"
\language english

bassclarinet = {
 \clef F
 \transposition bf,
 \set Staff.midiInstrument = "clarinet"
 \set Staff.instrumentCueName = \markup "cl. B"
 \set Staff.instrumentName = "bass clarinet"
 \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "bc"
}

clarinet = {
 \clef G
 \transposition bf
 \set Staff.midiInstrument = "clarinet"
 \set Staff.instrumentCueName = \markup "cl. B"
 \set Staff.instrumentName = "clarinet"
 \set Staff.shortInstrumentName = "cl"
}

global = {
  \key c \major s1
  \key f \major s1
  \key g \major s1
  \key d \major s1
}

clarnotes = {
  \clarinet g1
  \bassclarinet g1
  \clarinet g1
  \bassclarinet g1
}

\new Staff << \global \clarnotes >>
%%%  SNIPPET ENDS

The clef changes are fine… but the transposition doesn’t work as I would
expect/hope it would.
Is there a way to extend this music-function idea to handle all of the
requirements of an instrument switch?

> instrumentCueName would trigger a spurious cue name

It does, as seen in the output of the above snippet.

> the instrument cue engraver could be changed to ignore cue names
> set before the first call of process-music.

Is that the cleanest way to handle the problem?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info