Re: Prevent MMR breaking

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Prevent MMR breaking
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2017 23:20:29 +0100

Pierre-Luc Gauthier <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> Is there a way to prevent multi-measure-rest (MMR) breaking?
>
> I often use "s"s (e.g. s1*4 ) to trigger events, cue notes, etc,  and
> some of them do not display anything at all (and it's ok). My problem
> arise when I use MMR combined with multiple s expressions. Somehow,
> s1*2 =/= {s1 s1} and I don't understand why

s1*2 is a skip of duration 1*2 meaning that it _looks_ like s1 but takes
double the actual time.  {s1 s1} takes the same total time but consists
of two separate skips.

> nor have I found a workaround.
>
> In my MWE bellow, I would expect the MMR to be whole (6 bars) but
> instead, it is spliced in 3 MMRs of 2 bars.
>
> \version "2.19.55"
>
> \new Staff \new Voice <<
>   \compressFullBarRests
>   { R1*6 }
>   {
>     s1*2 | % MMR breaker
>     s1*2 | % MMR breaker
>   }
>>>

> Any thoughts on how to solve this?

Don't use s1*2 but s1*4 here.  Multi measure rests are only compressed
when there is no musical event intervening in parallel.

--
David Kastrup