Re: Differing header position depending on tallest letter

From: Peter Crighton
Subject: Re: Differing header position depending on tallest letter
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2017 18:49:25 +0100

Hmm, that doesn’t seem to work.
I didn’t know about \strut before, and I’m not sure if I correctly understand how it works, but doesn’t the size of the box depend on the whitespace character and not on the tallest character? I don’t know which height, if any, a whitespace character in a font normally has, but at least with LilyPond’s standard text font and with Gentium Book Basic, which is the one I’m currently using, it doesn’t work.

--
Peter Crighton | Musician & Music Engraver based in Mainz, Germany
http://www.petercrighton.de

Hi Peter,

According to NR 4.1.4 <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/flexible-vertical-spacing-paper-variables#structure-of-flexible-vertical-spacing-alists>, the reference point of top-level markups is indeed their highest point, not the baseline (as opposed to, e.g., Lyrics lines).

> So if there are several scores with titles with different maximum letter heights, the scores will begin at different vertical positions.

Yes, unfortunately. If you want consistent spacing (assuming that you don't put anything fancy in your titles, such as graphics or multi-line stuff, and that you use a font with sane glyph heights), you should be fine with an additional \strut in the title (see <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/other#index-_005cstrut-1>).

  title = \markup \concat { \strut "Title" }
  title = \markup \concat { \strut "e" }

You could also adjust bookTitleMarkup or scoreTitleMarkup (see NR 3.2.2 <http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/custom-titles-headers-and-footers#custom-layout-for-titles> and /usr/share/lilypond/*/ly/titling-init.ly or the equivalent on your system for the default) to take that into account; e.g., change the line

  \fromproperty #'header:title
  \concat { \strut \fromproperty #'header:title }

in the definition of bookTitleMarkup.

HTH,
Alexander