Re: How to read a error message?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: How to read a error message?
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2017 09:00:37 +0100

Scoutladen - Ralph Fröhlich <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
>
> hope to find some informations here about reading error messages
>
> Example:
>
> Processing `.../file.ly'
> Parsing...
> .../file.ly:16:30: error: unrecognized string, not in text script or
> \lyricmode
>   fis8 fis fis fis d d d4 g (
>                              h) h h8 h8
> .../file.ly:16:33: error: unrecognized string, not in text script or
> \lyricmode
>   fis8 fis fis fis d d d4 g (h)
>                                 h h8 h8
>
> Where can I find a short description?

It's just filename:linenumber:columnnumber: errormessage

and then the offending line, split into two just at the offending
location.  In your case, the first occurences of h are flagged since h
is not part of the default note language.

Maybe this particular error message should be "`h' is not a notename"
instead.  It's nice that the string would be allowed in a text script or
\lyricmode, but if someone writes

blabla = \new Lyrics { Shall I com- pare thee to a summer's day? }

the error message "`Shall' is not a note name" is probably clue enough
about what is happening.

Namely we should say what is wrong _here_ rather than mentioning where
it could be right.

--
David Kastrup