Re: proportional spacing for chords?

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: proportional spacing for chords?
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 13:12:56 -0500

On Wed 15 Mar 2017 at 16:07:31 (+0000), Adam Spiers wrote:
> On 15 March 2017 at 14:33, Robert Schmaus <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> That's what I was already trying ...
> >
> > I know - but in your file the proportionalNotationDuration was set to 64/256
> > ... with 1/10, the chords are placed furher apart. Maybe it's too far apart
> > with 1/10 but with smaller font size, you can navigate to some value that's
> > better.
>
> I tried with several different values, and beyond a certain fraction,
> the results
> were always the same, i.e. roughly proportional if barlines are omitted, and
> hopelessly non-proportional if barlines are included :-/

I took your source and changed two things:
a4 → a0
64/256 → 1/32
and it looks superficially ok to me. (It would have been nice
to have a conventional score available as a crib. I'm not
prepared to start comparing the source with the display.)

Perhaps you just have a room problem. I've made limited use of
proportional notation, very useful for certain pieces, but I
would prefer the music to look like a proper score rather than
have some rigorous mathematical constraint applied to the
notes. So I've never expected the barlines in each system to
line up exactly with the others.

Cheers,
David.