\magnifyStaff and Horizontal Spacing

From: Benjamin Strecker
Subject: \magnifyStaff and Horizontal Spacing
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 22:48:21 -0400

I’m working on a project that involves one full size staff and several smaller staves providing cues for other instruments.  I’m using \magnifyStaff to accomplish this, but it seems to be adjusting the horizontal spacing in ways that I’m not liking.  My hope is to have the spacing largely determined by the full-size staff (except in circumstances where the more space is needed to fit a more active line in the cues).

In the example below, the score using the different sizes seems to be taking it’s spacing from smaller staff.  I first noticed this when I saw that the clef and time signature for the full-size staff were much closer together than they would normally be, but the note spacing is clearly different when compared with the second score in the example.

I have been able to adjust SpacingSpanner.spacing-increment to make the note spacing a bit better, but it was largely trial and error.  Doubling the default value didn’t quite work out.  Adjusting the clef/time signature issue involved changing Clef.spacing-alist.time-signature back to the default.

Am I missing something, or is this just the current state of affairs with using \magnifyMusic?

%%%%%%%%%%%
\version "2.19.52"

music = {
  \repeat unfold 16 {f'16}