Re: Partial

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Partial
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2017 22:53:07 +0100

Am 17.03.2017 um 21:08 schrieb Joseph Austin:
> First of all, although I did not see it in the documentation,
> the form \partial DUR*NUM, such as \partial 8*5, seems to work, where NUM is
> an integer multiplying DUR.
> This seems to be sufficient to accommodate any arbitrary anacrusis,
> (except possibly partial tuplets, but I'm not sure such rhythms occur in
> practice).

Section 1.2.3 of the notation reference says that \partial takes a
duration as an argument. Section 1.2.1 describes what a duration can
look like (so I don’t think \partial’s capabilities are undocumented):
Not only powers of 2 but also \breve, \longa, \maxima, dotted durations
and scaled durations. You can scale a duration not only by integer
factors but also by fractions and even multiple factors are allowed.

So “upbeat/anacrusis of three notes of a dotted-sixteenth quintuplet”
can be written as

\partial 16.*4/5*3

> Also, durations specified with dots also work, e.g  \partial 4..

There is an example at section 1.2.3 which uses “\partial 4.”