Re: Entering (lute) tablature

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: Entering (lute) tablature
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 21:47:57 +0100

> Well, lute tablature has the obvious advantage(?) to be using letters
> instead of fret numbers.
>
> I went totally annoyed over entering the first few measures of the
> following tablature appended as PDF
>

> so I finally decided that this wasn't working for me.
>
> So here is a sketch of entering this score by tab:
>

> Pretty sure I entered stuff wrong here (there is some programming error,
> too) and probably did not decipher all of the tab correctly.  Anybody
> wanting to proofread?
>
> At any rate, at least for lettered tabs this is a somewhat cure entry
> method (of course, the "letters" start over since the order is
> a b c d e f g a' b' c' d' ...).
>
> Should something like this, though likely more robust against bad
> entries, be part of LilyPond's standard tool chest?
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Hi David,

I didn't proofread.
Though some observations.

(1)
Why not

"|" = \bar "|"

instead of

content = #(map-some-music
        (lambda (m)
         (and (music-is-of-type? m 'bar-check)
          #{ \bar "|" #}))
        content)

(2)
A seven string tablature is hard to read, imho.
Why not use 'additionalBassStrings'. I would print "0" below sixth string here.

(3)
I tried to boil down the programming error. Minimal:

\new Score \with { defaultBarType = "" } { c'1. }

It's already present in 2.14.2.
2.12.3 doesn't print an error. No clue if the error isn't there for
this version or if it's not recognized and printed to the terminal.

I'd need to have a far closer look at the 'tabtranslate', before I
could say anything relevant about this function.

Cheers,
  Harm