Re: Entering (lute) tablature

From: Trevor Daniels
Subject: Re: Entering (lute) tablature
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2017 21:14:45 -0000

David Kastrup wrote Saturday, March 18, 2017 10:36 PM

> So here is a sketch of entering this score by tab:

Looks good and seems to work well.

> Pretty sure I entered stuff wrong here (there is some programming error,
> too) and probably did not decipher all of the tab correctly.  Anybody
> wanting to proofread?

I could see only one issue - in bar 16 there is a spurious Bb I think.
It seems to be just a smudge in the original score, so I deleted it.

I've not investigated the programming error.

I attach a rerendering for lute using your file and a cobbled-together
toy engraver I wrote for outputting lute tab. (I had to change only the
octavation.)  This makes checking the data entry very easy by straight
comparison with the original.

> At any rate, at least for lettered tabs this is a somewhat cure entry
> method (of course, the "letters" start over since the order is
> a b c d e f g a' b' c' d' ...).
>
> Should something like this, though likely more robust against bad
> entries, be part of LilyPond's standard tool chest?

Yes, definitely!  The lack of a means of entering tab means players
who read only tab could not use LP.  In discussions some years ago
there seemed to be many of them.

Trevor