Re: What can Premusic do that others can't?

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: What can Premusic do that others can't?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 10:46:25 +0100

Am 21.03.2017 um 10:18 schrieb Hans Åberg:

>> On 21 Mar 2017, at 00:40, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> As an example of what David is mentioning, have a look at the attached
>>> png image (taken from Chopin's prelude op. 28/24) and try to notate
>>> this.
>>
>> Oops, wrong image.  Here's the right one.
>
> The whole piece, with score, is at:
>   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nIsCvQPOdcM

Nice, I think I know what I’ll study next after my piano exam.

Apart from that this brings to me the question how grace notes which
don’t really take any time at all are compatible with Vac’s dadadadaaaaa
rhythm notation.

(By the way: I think that the way LilyPond handles it (using “grace” and
“real time”) is pretty good but not perfect. \grace only needs grace
time but \afterGrace needs real time for vertical alignment (but not for
input of the notes)—it would be nice to have 1. \grace before barlines
and 2. grace/afterGrace notes that are vertically aligned indepentently
from real time notes if you don’t want them between the real notes. And
maybe 3. some function that helps to align f. e. 7 grace notes in the
right and 6 in the left hand without having to scale them by hand -> a
function that takes notes and scales them so that they get a given total
length. Maybe if I find some time I’ll make some sketches that
illustrate 2. and pseudo code that illustrates 3.)