Re: What can Premusic do that others can't?

From: mskala
Subject: Re: What can Premusic do that others can't?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 19:52:51 -0500 (CDT)

On Tue, 21 Mar 2017, Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:
> The only time I've even seen an attempt at irrational durations was in the
> one other thread on this list that was actually more annoying, more
> aggressive and differently clueless.  I believe the intended durations were
> 1/sqrt(71) or something equally undiscernable.

FWIW, I've written algorithmically-generated music with irrational
durations by a process described at
   http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/professional/music/notes-on-notes-on-the-plane.pdf

and I think it came out pretty well.  It's not deliberately written with
irrational timing just to be annoying; the square roots come naturally
from the underlying geometric model and couldn't be easily removed without
compromising that in a significant way.  Unfortunately, the audio
recordings are currently offline because I stopped paying for SoundCloud,
but I plan to put them back online elsewhere within a month or two, and
could provide files on request if anyone asks me off-list.

I used Lilypond to do some notation examples in that document, but I
didn't attempt to create a complete score of the composition in music
notation nor figure out what such a thing would sensibly look like.  It's
not intended for human performance and the actual score is a set of Csound
files.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before principles.