Re: What can Premusic do that others can't?

From: Bernardo Barros
Subject: Re: What can Premusic do that others can't?
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2017 21:14:00 -0400

On 3/21/17 8:52 PM, address@hidden wrote:
FWIW, I've written algorithmically-generated music with irrational
durations by a process described at
http://ansuz.sooke.bc.ca/professional/music/notes-on-notes-on-the-plane.pdf

 and I think it came out pretty well.  It's not deliberately written
with irrational timing just to be annoying; the square roots come
naturally from the underlying geometric model and couldn't be easily
removed without compromising that in a significant way.
Unfortunately, the audio recordings are currently offline because I
stopped paying for SoundCloud, but I plan to put them back online
elsewhere within a month or two, and could provide files on request
if anyone asks me off-list.

That's really interesting. Thanks for sharing.

I was not making an argument against it. My point was that we usually we
are too biased by traditional notation, and put non powers of two
divisions in the "really difficult" place when it is not the case.

BTW Conlon Nancarrow also has used irrational tempi.