Re: Adding a brace or bracket to indicate an organ manual change

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Adding a brace or bracket to indicate an organ manual change
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 19:38:57 -0500

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 6:46 PM, Joseph N. Srednicki <address@hidden> wrote:

Hello:

Thanks for the previous help from Guy, Pierre, and David, but I found some glitches. See the example below.

In measure 2, the brace hits against the barline. I tried using hshift, but was unsuccessful.

The markups won't push notational elements aside, so here the only option would be to move the barline aside:

\once \override PianoStaff.BarLine.extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 2)

(Note that with the more cumbersome Arpeggio solution above, spacing will accommodate the bracket and you can make adjustments as I did there, by overriding the Arpeggio object.)

In measure 2, the position of the rest seems to mess things up.

On solution is to attach the markup to a zero-length spacer before the rest.  Use the override above to get some space:

    \once \override PianoStaff.BarLine.extra-spacing-width = #'(0 . 2)
    s1*0^\markup { SW }^\markup\openBracket #19 R2

In these situations, what technique is recommended to avoid these collisions in measures 2 and 3? Again, please feel free to point me to the documentation that I may have missed.

David