Re: Combining \tag with \quoteDuring does not work

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Combining \tag with \quoteDuring does not work
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 14:33:35 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> In movements where the music jumps between different sections marked
> with segno signs, one has do deal with those in a quite different way
> in the layout and the midi scores. Then the \tag is of good help to
> exclude parts in the layout score that has to be there in the midi
> score. Now, if two voices are almost equal there also a good aid in
> the \addQuote and \quoteDuring mechanism. However to combine this with
> the \tag facility does not work for me. The quotes neglect the tags
> and is running as if they do not exist. I know my snippet is a wee too
> long, but I will illustrate the whole situation with signs and
> others. I also know that the construction with "D.S. al coda" is not
> the cleverest, but it was the shortest I could find out here. To
> shorten the example I have not doubled the score, but in the real case
> the layout score is running with the "\removeWithTag #'X" while the
> midi score has this line removed. Instead of the long \addQuote
> expression you can write \Mj (which it is) but no difference. Here is
> my example:
>
> \version "2.18.2" Ma = \relative g' { c4 c c } Mb = \relative g' { b4 b b }
> Mc =
> \relative g' { a4 a a a a a \bar "||" } Md = \relative g' { g4 g g } Mj = {
> \Ma
> \Mb \Mc \tag #'X \Mb \Md } Mk = \relative g' { \quoteDuring "Q" { s1*4*3/4 }
> \tag #'X { \quoteDuring "Q" { s4*3 } } \quoteDuring "Q" { s4*3 } } \addQuote
> "Q"
> { \Ma \Mb \Mc \tag #'X \Mb \Md } S = { s1*3/4 \mark \markup { \musicglyph

No, I am not going to figure out this heap of code without line breaks.
I recommend that you switch off HTML-formatted mails in your mail
program or at the very least learn how to teach it _not_ to wrap lines
where no line wraps belong.

That being said, tags are a mechanism for manipulating input and quotes
are a mechanism for recording input and replaying the recorded results
(which no longer are input put streams of events).

So all of your tag manipulations need to be done by the time you use
\addQuote .  Maybe you don't need quotes here but rather straightforward
music variables: those contain the input and are still susceptible to
tag manipulations.

--
David Kastrup