Re: Combining \tag with \quoteDuring does not work

From: Kaj Persson
Subject: Re: Combining \tag with \quoteDuring does not work
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2017 22:24:35 +0200

David,

On 2017-03-27 at 20:17, David Kastrup wrote:
Kaj Persson <address@hidden> writes:

So the result you show printed is _exactly_ the result according to
my explanation, yet you say it isn't, possibly because of glossing
over half of the explanation, possibly because of misunderstanding
some part of the explanation.

Which is it?
You gave the explaination above at "since the tag isn't relevant for
quoting." I thought, that tags always change the source, but obviously
I was wrong.
So let's see when I bothered mentioning it.  In my first reply I wrote:

     That being said, tags are a mechanism for manipulating input and
     quotes are a mechanism for recording input and replaying the
     recorded results (which no longer are input put streams of events).

     So all of your tag manipulations need to be done by the time you use
     \addQuote .  Maybe you don't need quotes here but rather
     straightforward music variables: those contain the input and are
     still susceptible to tag manipulations.

In my second reply I wrote:

     > \addQuote "Q" { \Ma \Mb \Mc \tag #'X \Mb \Md }

     The tag here is ineffective since it is inside of the quote.

So I gave the information two times rather explicitly and still had to
take your complex example apart in the third answer before you actually
considered it.

Since I already explained this in detail in the first reply, it seems
like a total waste of effort when you express your complete surprise
that things work the way I already explained in the first reply.  Or
actually, that the _result_ is the way I explained it.  Because "I
thought, that tags always change the source, but obviously I was wrong."
rather suggests that you did not actually consider thinking about the
explanation.

Particularly in the light of that, you should aim to provide smaller
examples in future as your mode of learning seems to be focused
_completely_ on looking at examples _without_ considering explanations.
So since the dissemination of an example is _mandatory_ for your
learning, you really should aim to make at least this step as painless
as possible for helpers.

Of course you are right. In your eyes I am a stupid person who does not understand simple relations and explanations. I cannot deny that. O course you are right. I have for quite a long time tried to learn this program LilyPond, but still I have not reached your heights. I do not know scheme, but am trying to understand how the program behaves. Yes, already in your first answer you gave an explaination, I read it, but at that time I was more anxious to come back with a readable code, and did not look so hard into your words of wisdom. Then they have been repeated, and I have read them, but shame to say, I do not yet understand the full essence. I am not the cleverest man walking on this earth, and have to use time (and several examples) before the real knowledge enters my head.

I am sorry I have irritated you. I am aware of mistakes in my writing an example, and, I repeat, I will try to make them not complete but more simple, in the future, if I will have to call for help again. I am sorry having to admit, I assume I will need that. I know you are a busy person, yet willing to help idiots like me. Of course I appreciate that, and I am very grateful. So thank you very, very much.

I can also tell, that I have followed your advice from your first answer about variable. It was a fruitful solution and much better than quoting (this time).

/Kaj