Re: Style questions

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Style questions
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 10:16:48 -0500

On Tue 28 Mar 2017 at 12:16:41 (+0300), Dmytro O. Redchuk wrote:
> Regarding the first question: Lilypond can merge rests "automagically"
> --- http://lsr.di.unimi.it/LSR/Item?id=336 --- but it may depend on
> local rules.

I've used this snippet for a while now, together with
mmrest = { \once \override MultiMeasureRest.staff-position = #2 }
%% and is used thus: \mmrest R1 \mmrest R2.

because it doesn't handle whole-measure rests...or does it now?
I have come across this reference, which claims to handle them,
but I have yet to try it out:

https://github.com/wbsoft/lilymusic/blob/master/include/merge-rests.ily

> Having abovementioned LSR snippet: here in Ukraine quarter rests in
> the first measure should be merged, but in the second one upper voice
> hsould be notated as r4 r e g and two quarter rests should not be
> merged.

Am I looking at the same image? I'm struggling to find anything
that could be r4 r4 e4 g4 within it.

The zeroth¹ measure is the intonation, right? There shouldn't be a rest;
in fact, there shouldn't be two staves at that point, should there.

In my image, measure 1 stave 2 of the piece is where you want the
four quarter-rests merged into two. That would be conventional.

> > Hello folks,
> >
> > Two questions about the display style for Recordare's Binchois20.xml file:
> >
> > - should there be only one set of quarter rests under (CT.) in the lower
> > staff, and if so, how can that be done (i.e. to « mask » a rest in a voice
> > if there’s already one at the same point in another voice in the same
> > staff)? Finale does so;
> >
> > - would it be better to swap voices for the f and a quarter notes in the
> > last measure (Finale does so too). I’m no keyboard player unfortunately, and
> > I guess that players don’t take voices numbers into account as we do when
> > using Lilypond or other scoring software.

Do you mean you're thinking of writing the first quarter-notes in
measure 2 stave 2 with the stem up on C and down on A? I can see
no reason at all to change what's in the image. The parts cross,
that's all.

¹ counting measures in the image from zero,
  so the polyphony starts at one.

Cheers,
David.