Re: Style questions

From: Simon Albrecht
Subject: Re: Style questions
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 19:47:18 +0200

Am 28.03.2017 um 11:09 schrieb Menu Jacques:
- should there be only one set of quarter rests under (CT.) in the lower staff, and if so, how can that be done (i.e. to « mask » a rest in a voice if there’s already one at the same point in another voice in the same staff)? Finale does so;

- would it be better to swap voices for the f and a quarter notes in the last measure (Finale does so too). I’m no keyboard player unfortunately, and I guess that players don’t take voices numbers into account as we do when using Lilypond or other scoring software.

Is this supposed to be a keyboard arrangement? Then make it a real keyboard arrangement, w.r.t clefs and simplifying polyphony &c.
If it’s not – this is no keyboard music (there was (almost) no real keyboard music at Binchois’ time). Music from that time should _never_ have two vocal parts sharing one staff. Also, definitely don’t eliminate any voice-crossings if you don’t intend to make an arrangement.

Best, Simon