Re: Lilypond document reformatting script?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Lilypond document reformatting script?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2017 12:19:52 +0200

Am 30.03.2017 um 10:45 schrieb Devon LePage:
I’m currently working on a project that involves importing a lot of music into LilyPond via MusicXML. (Before this, the music is scanned and OCR-ed in Smart Score X2, if that is relevant.)

Unfortunately, the resulting LilyPond code is a bit messy and difficult to read. I'd like to reformat these files so that there’s only one measure on each indented line.

Doing this by hand takes up a significant amount of time, so I’ve been trying to create a python script that uses the ly.lex package to do this. Has anyone already done this? I couldn’t find anything, so I tried to do it myself. But after four hours of frustration I'm starting to think that I might be too much of a novice to figure this out. There are just too many moving parts for me—I’m having a hard time just figuring out how to add a newline in the middle of a small lilypond document. I’m also unsure how to incorporate tuplets into the determination of a measure.

I’m wondering if there’s a wizard here on the mailing list who might be able to help me out? (Another dream would be to have a function that adds a second newline after every group of N-measures.)

At the very least, maybe someone could point me in the right direction: what do I need to read/understand to figure this out? How would one go about doing this?

I've only tested one random MusicXML file, so I can't fully comment.
But it seems that musicxml2ly generates barchecks ("|") for every measure. So you can simply use *these* to identify possible line breaks, without actually going down the road of analyzing the content.

But my converted file actually *did* place one measure in a line, so I don't see your problem. Could you please share some of that "messy" LilyPond code?

Urs

Thanks,
-Devon.