Re: Unexpected Stem behaviour

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Unexpected Stem behaviour
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 12:27:16 +0200

Hi Gerard,

please try to make minimal examples that are easier to understand
(http://lilypond.org/tiny-examples.html). These long lines and tons of
{} and <<>> aren’t easy to read.

Am 31.03.2017 um 11:55 schrieb Gerard:
> 1. The stems in red do not match the coding, length should be 8 in stead
> of 4

I tried to find any code that has to do with stem length for five
minutes but didn’t see that there was none because of missing line
breaks etc.

After these five minutes I realised that you meant that the note
duration isn’t represented by the stem/flag (flag is missing) instead of
an uncorrect stem length.

If you don’t use \hideNotes you can see what causes the missing flag:
The eigth notes are beamed together with the preceding transparent 32nd
notes. They have a (transparent) beam so no flag is set. You can use
\noBeam here to prevent beaming from and to this note:

        <as es>8\noBeam

> 2. The tie on the red note seems to precede the note, not to follow it
> to the next.

The tie is attached to the note head you attached it to—but this note
head is transparent. If you don’t use \hideNotes you can see that. The
two note heads are printed side by side to prevent collision; you can
turn that off by using

        (\once) \override NoteColumn.ignore-collision = ##t

> Any suggestions are welcome.

General suggestion: If you use transparent “fake” voices to create such
complicated polyphony, don’t make them transparent until all spacing
etc. is done and then, as a last step, insert \once \hideNotes,
\hideNotes and \unHideNotes.