Replying to the digest, was Re: An 'interpreter' for lilypond

From: David Wright
Subject: Replying to the digest, was Re: An 'interpreter' for lilypond
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2017 15:14:24 -0500

On Sun 02 Apr 2017 at 10:41:22 (-0500), Cynthia Karl wrote:

> > Message: 5
> > Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2017 12:39:23 -0700 (MST)
> > From: tisimst <address@hidden>
> > To: address@hidden
> > Subject: Re: An 'interpreter' for lilypond
> >
> > On Sat, Apr 1, 2017 at 1:22 PM, Son_V [via Lilypond] <
> > address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> >> @Abraham
> >> Thanks, You're gentle.
> >> But... if nabble is not the correct way, where should I post?
> >> Remember, I just googled for "Lilypond forum" and I got nabble.
> >>

> > There's nothing wrong with using Nabble, but you must not have actually
> > subscribed to the lilypond-user mailing list:
> > (does Nabble not ask you if you're subscribed to the respective list
> > anymore? It used to...).
> >
> > Either way, instead of clicking on "Reply", first click on "More v" and you
> > should see the option "Reply to author". Click that one instead and it will
> > automatically add the quoted text from the post you're going to comment on,
> > then you can add your response below it (after trimming any parts that
> > aren't directly related to your response, of course).
>
> That might work in your world, but not in mine.  I get the lilypond user
> digest on a mac.  There is no “More v” or “Reply to author”.  I have to click
> on reply, change the subject line, and delete all the messages in the digest
> except the one I’m replying to.  Is there a better way?

A lot of "if"s follow.

If you get the digest as a long email of continuous text, it's likely
that each item is preceded by a header line like (yours)
that will at put your message in the correct place in the thread.
That's if you can see/edit the headers; not every client can.

If you get the digest in the other form, where messages are in
attachments (and their attachments are attached, not scrubbed), eg

  1 lilypond-user Digest, Vol 173, Issue 5 [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.5K]
  2 Today's Topics (6 messages)            [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.3K]
  3 <no description>                              [multipa/digest, 7bit, 44K]
  4 ├─>Re: An 'interpreter' for lilypond         [message/rfc822, 7bit, 3.2K]
  5 ├─>Re: An 'interpreter' for lilypond         [message/rfc822, 7bit, 1.1K]
  6 ├─>Re: An 'interpreter' for lilypond         [message/rfc822, 7bit, 3.8K]
  7 ├─>Re: An 'interpreter' for lilypond         [message/rfc822, 7bit, 1.2K]
  8 ├─>Re: An 'interpreter' for lilypond         [message/rfc822, 7bit, 4.1K]
  9 └─>Drawing wavy line across the bars          [message/rfc822, 7bit, 30K]
 10   └─><no description>                        [multipa/related, 7bit, 29K]
 11     ├─><no description>                  [multipa/alternativ, 7bit, 2.6K]
 12     │ ├─><no description>                 [text/plain, 7bit, utf-8, 1.0K]
 13     │ └─><no description>                [text/html, quoted, utf-8, 1.4K]
 14     └─>1.png                                     [image/png, base64, 26K]
 15 Digest Footer                          [text/plain, 7bit, us-ascii, 0.1K]

you might find that you can open and then reply to the appropriate
attachment, in which case the In-Reply-To: line might get filled in
automatically.

Unfortunately, none of this might work. The world is full of
broken email clients, including some of the most popular.

Cheers,
David.