Re: Converting a large project from 2.18 to 2.19: what to expect?

From: Malte Meyn
Subject: Re: Converting a large project from 2.18 to 2.19: what to expect?
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 08:56:17 +0200

Am 05.04.2017 um 08:17 schrieb Shevek:
> 1) How stable is 2.19 for end users on a demanding project? It seems like
> forever since 2.18, so I'm sort of surprised there hasn't been 2.20 already.
> Is there some major problem I should be worried about in 2.19?

See
https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/search/?q=%28_type%3ACritical+OR+labels%3ARegression%29+AND+%28status%3ANew+OR+status%3AAccepted+OR+status%3AStarted%29
for a list of critical bugs/regressions. It would be nice to have a 2.20
soon but these have to be solved before a release.

I would recommend to simply try 2.19 (install 2.19, make a copy of your
project, run convert-ly and lilypond on this copy), I have never had
problems with 2.19 that weren’t there in 2.18. (Of course that doesn’t
mean that there cannot be any problems but it seems like problems are
very rare for many use cases.)

> 2) What should I expect to break under 2.19? Music output changes to look
> out for as I proofread? Things that might make snippets or Scheme behave
> differently or not be backwards compatible?

Output changes: MIDI articulation, MultiMeasureRest spacing, whiteout style.

Input changes: the omission of “parser” and “location” arguments in
music functions, \partial at volta repeats and time signature changes.

These are only some examples. For details and other changes see
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/changes/