Re: Converting a large project from 2.18 to 2.19: what to expect?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Converting a large project from 2.18 to 2.19: what to expect?
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 09:02:07 +0200

Am 05.04.2017 um 08:56 schrieb Malte Meyn:

> Am 05.04.2017 um 08:17 schrieb Shevek:
>> 1) How stable is 2.19 for end users on a demanding project?

In general 2.19 is totally stable enough also for demanding and
real-world projects.

>> It seems like
>> forever since 2.18, so I'm sort of surprised there hasn't been 2.20 already.
>> Is there some major problem I should be worried about in 2.19?
> See
> https://sourceforge.net/p/testlilyissues/issues/search/?q=%28_type%3ACritical+OR+labels%3ARegression%29+AND+%28status%3ANew+OR+status%3AAccepted+OR+status%3AStarted%29
> for a list of critical bugs/regressions. It would be nice to have a 2.20
> soon but these have to be solved before a release.
>
> I would recommend to simply try 2.19 (install 2.19, make a copy of your
> project, run convert-ly and lilypond on this copy), I have never had
> problems with 2.19 that weren’t there in 2.18. (Of course that doesn’t
> mean that there cannot be any problems but it seems like problems are
> very rare for many use cases.)

I'd say: the more complex Scheme programming you use under the hood
(i.e. in some library files), the more you risk running into problems.

If you have any chance I would recommend to do this with version
control. You could even start tracking your project right now, but do
the following:

* create a branch for the conversion and check this out
* run convert-ly on all your files
  note if there are any "I'm not smart enough" messages
* commit these changes
* test compiling the project and see if it seems feasible to continue
* fix any problems one by one

If that works out you have two working branches and can decide whether
to continue having the two options or simply merge the conversion branch
back in and have your whole project converted to 2.19.

Good luck!
Urs