Re: vertical distance variables

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: vertical distance variables
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2017 07:17:44 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, Apr 5, 2017 at 8:09 AM, Urs Liska [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:

The attached diagram might be helpful for understanding vertical spacing variables.

Yes, very helpful.
But I don't see how I can then create a fixed distance for the first system - as I don't know how high the title markup is.

The only way I'm aware of (for this very first system position) is with an explicit vertical position statement, found here:

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.19/Documentation/notation/explicit-staff-and-system-positioning

The down-side is that it makes the system behave more like when you use 'extra-offset, so it affects that system ONLY and none others.

The alternative would be to re-write the title markup, prefaced using something like \with-dimensions to artificially fix its vertical size so the first system *thinks* it's supposed to start at a specific spot.

HTH,
Abraham